You are in that momentous phase of your life where you know you are transitioning from a ‘school kid’ to a ‘college going adult’ after completing schooling andyou are wondering which course to undertake for your graduation and subsequent success in life.
- are sure of yourself and have your likings and preferences with respect to major things in your life specially studies
- have your circle of friends and best friends
- have your family which supports you but always doesn’t understand your needs
- have questions, you don’t know whom to ask for answers
- don’t really like the restrictions imposed by your school or your family
After finishing school, you feel you have won your independence and want to maximize success with minimal efforts while enjoying life with your friends. Ofcourse, you know what you like and want to do, but there is no harm with some free advice which you can follow if you feel like or discard with the choice being ultimately with you.
Always remember a few simple principals to guide you through your life:
- You will excel in what you like doing and may not in what you force yourself to do. So look back on the last two years of your studies and think over which subject you really liked because you were naturally good at it andrequired minimum efforts on your part to do well.
- The great thing in this world is not where you stand but the direction in which you are moving. This you would know from your daily traffic experience. As long as the traffic moves in the direction you are travelling, it’s good and not moving even while your destination is in sight is no good.
- Your past is no indication of your future and you need to be clear on what you want to achieve in life. When you let go off what you are, you become what you might be.
- It’s not enough to only aim, but you must hit to be successful. So you must not only know where you want to be in life, but need to plan right now to reach that. Also know that not all your plans will go as per plan and there will always be a mix of successesand failures. It’s important to get more things right than wrong to reach your planned destination.
- You can never go back on time, so if any of your plans end in failure while you can’t make a brand new start, you can start from now and make a brand new ending.
Now coming to higher studies, broadly the higher studies can be classified as below:
You may be wondering how come Digital doesn’t find any mention here. It’s because Digital is no longer just another separate stream of study. We are currently living in the ‘Digital Age’, so any stream of study today needs to be in the Digital language.
While your choice of the stream of study you pursue will be based on your stream of study in school and your preference, the other point you need to keep in mind while choosing your undergraduate stream is your intended career option. Career options can be Academics, Service in Private Corporate sector or Government Services or Practising Professional (Lawyer, Doctor, Architect).
While choosing your under graduation stream, a frequent conflict arises between a course of choice and a college of choice. In this respect, it is worth remembering that a course of choice should take precedence over college of choice,specially at the Under Graduation level, since excelling in your course of choice will be that much easier for any person and somebody really excelling in a course will have enough options to move onto greener pastures thereon.
Finally, it is worth remembering that the real opportunity for success lies within the person and not in the qualification or the job. It’s your life, so you need to decide what you want to do with it, how to achieve the same and then start working on it right now.
Best of luck and all the very best for the future to you at this critical juncture in your life.
Mr. Bhaskar Basu has 25 years’ experience in Sales & Marketing with leading Global & Indian Corporations taking emerging categories into category leadership positions. With experience spanning across 7 Asian countries ranging from Japan to Bangladesh & multiple product categories, he brings in deep insights into Consumer & Trade dynamics & behaviour.
After graduating from IIM Calcutta in 1989, he worked for nearly a decade with Hindustan Unilever Limited and launched Kwality Walls in India. Later he was instrumental in taking Perfetti to No. 1 position in confectionery category in India by 2002 & thereafter in Asia by 2005. Subsequently, he launched Costa Coffee in India as its 1st C.E.O. He also held senior positions with S.C.Johnson & Nitco, before serving as an operating partner with Ncubate Capital Partners.
Send us an email at email@example.com to connect to Mr. Basu.
(All views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent MentorYes’s view point or recommendations. Readers are advised to consider and evaluate the views presented here before implementing them in their preparation or otherwise.)
All rights to this article are reserved with MentorYes and its holding company. No content, in part or whole, can be used / shared elsewhere without due credit to MentorYes and a prominent link back to the original post. No commercial use / distribution of this article is permissible, without prior written permission from MentorYes or its holding company.